William Bannerman (age 55), from Duible, parish of Kildonan, Sutherlandshire, sailed on the Hadlow in 1815 with his wife Barbara Gun (age 50) and five children – Ann (19), William (16), Alexander (14), Donald (8), and George (7). William Sr. was described as a labourer and his son William as a shoemaker. They reached York Factory at the end of August and arrived at Red River in early November. William Jr. spent the winter at the Forks, but the rest of the family and the majority of the settlers wintered at Pembina.
Two older children, John (a shoemaker) and Isabella, had preceded the family to Red River with the emigrants of 1813. As a result of an outbreak of typhus on the ship, this group was landed at Churchill Fort and spent the winter at Churchill Creek, a camp about 15 miles up the Churchill River. John died of consumption in January 1814. Isabella made the snowshoe trek from Churchill to York Factory in the spring and reached Red River in June 1814. On 5 January 1815, she married Robert Sutherland, also of the 1813 party. In June 1815 they left the settlement with most of Selkirk’s people to relocate in Upper Canada. They settled in West Gwillimbury, Simcoe County.
William and Barbara and the five children they brought with them to Red River were forced to flee to Jack River after the colony was destroyed in June 1816. Bolstered by the news that Lord Selkirk was in the country and on his way to Red River, most settlers, including the Bannermans, spent the winter at Jack River and returned to the settlement in the summer of 1817. Lord Selkirk granted William Lot #21 (Peter Fidler’s survey). Kildonan Park Golf Course includes a part of his original property.
This family made Red River their permanent home. William Jr. drowned while attempting to canoe across the river on a blustery day in June 1826. Ann married James Fraser, a young HBC man; Alexander married Janet McKay, daughter of William and Barbara McKay of Caithness; Donald married Janet Matheson-822. George remained at Red River, but there is no indication that he married. William Sr. died in 1837 and Barbara in 1842. They are buried in St. John’s cemetery.