John Tait was born January 22, 1803 in South Ronaldsay, Orkney, Scotland, to James Tait and Catherine Cromarty. He followed his brothers, James and William, to Rupert’s Land in the employment of the Hudson’s Bay Company. He entered service in 1820 as a middleman at Albany and in 1823 moved to Moose Factory. By 1825 he is listed as a carpenter. He married Elizabeth Brown, daughter of Joseph Brown and Elizabeth, a Native woman, and in 1829 he retired to the Red River Settlement where he continued as a carpenter and later as a miller. The family, which included three sons and four daughters, resided in Park’s Creek in the Parish of St. Andrews. They attended St. Andrews-on-the-Red Anglican Church, where there is a wall plaque commemorating John’s life. He died September 23, 1879 and was followed by Elizabeth on June 27, 1882.