George Adams, an English labourer, sailed on the Hadlow in 1815. Also on board the ship were Joseph Adams, labourer, and his wife Mary. George Adams was 19 years of age and Joseph was 25. (1) It is probable that they were related in some way….possibly brothers. This group reached Red River in November of 1815 and most were sent to winter at Pembina, returning to the settlement in the spring.
George Adams entered the employ of the HBC in the summer of 1816. It is possible he joined the Company after the colonists fled to Jack River following the destruction of the settlement. He spent the winter at Red Deer River Post in the Swan River District. In spring 1817, all HBC posts in the Swan River District and all employees were captured by the NWC. Unfortunately, the Swan River post journals have not survived to provide details. Adams was not regularly employed by the Company after 1817 and in 1823 his debit was written off. A list of the settlers of Red River, August 1818, included George. He was listed as a household of one. Joseph Adams, fellow immigrant of 1815, had drowned in 1817. (2)
In 1832, George married Ann Heywood, a Métis woman, at Red River. The marriage would produce twelve children, although three died very young. The family lived in the St. Paul’s Middlechurch area until at least 1856. At some point in the next five years, they moved to High Bluff near present-day Portage la Prairie. The last child, Maria, was born in 1861 at High Bluff. George died there about 1865.
The children of George and Ann all married in Manitoba and remained there until ca 1879, with the exception of Charles who had left for the Northwest in 1861. He came back to Red River and married Ann Norquay there in 1865. They returned to the Northwest where he worked as a clerk for the HBC from 1866 until 1882. By 1885, he was farming in the Prince Albert district.
About 1879, most of the Adams family left Manitoba for the Northwest. The only ones to remain in Manitoba were George Adams Jr., his wife Mary Cook, and their children. The extended Adams family went first to the Lindsay district south of Prince Albert. In 1906, some of them made another move to the North Battleford area. The first people to go to the new area were the family of George C. Spence and Maria Adams. They were joined the following year by more families. An application was made to call the settlement Long Meadow, but there was already a settlement by that name; the old English name Langmeade was adopted as suggested by the postal authorities.
(1) LAC Selkirk Papers, vol. 5, pp.1659-1661, List of passengers landed at York Fort 26th August 1815
(2) His widow, Mary, married Henry Eustace, an HBC man. She returned to England in 1823.