Hugh Cameron from Kilmonivaig, Invernesshire, entered the service of the HBC in 1813. He sailed on the Brazen, (1) a British ship of war, in convoy with ships for Hudson Bay. He was put ashore with other HBC men at Churchill rather than the intended destination of York Factory. He served as a labourer in the Churchill River district until 1816, when he boarded the Prince of Wales to return to Scotland. (2) The Prince could not clear Hudson Strait due to ice, and the ship returned to Charlton Island in James Bay for the winter. Hugh was sent to Fort Albany and then Fort Severn. He did not return to Scotland in the spring, but signed on again with the HBC and worked as a bowsman in the Albany River District. In 1821 he left the service and settled at Red River.
In 1831, Hugh married Mary Jordan (nee McLean), the widow of Martin Jordan. Mary had three children from her first marriage: Patrick, Hector, and Nancy. The two youngest lived with their mother after her second marriage, but Nancy died in 1833. Hugh and Mary would have 5 children: Margaret, Alexander, John, Donald and Annie.
The Camerons farmed on the west side of the river on land roughly corresponding to the lot which had originally been granted to Martin Jordan. About 1855, the family moved to Headingley, where Patrick Jordan also farmed. Hugh began to use the Gaelic name Ewen, rather than the anglicized Hugh. He died at Headingley in 1866 and was buried in St. John’s Cemetery, Winnipeg. Mary died in 1876 and was also buried at St. John’s.
(1) HBCA C.1/298: Ship’s passenger list of the Eddystone outward bound 1813. Ewen Cameron is listed under the heading “Men for YF on board the Brazen & victualed from us”
(2) HBCA C.1/785: Ship’s passenger list of the Prince of Wales homeward bound 1816