Alexander Polson, 36-year-old wheelwright, emigrated from Torrish, Sutherlandshire, with the 1815 party. He and his wife, Catherine Matheson, sailed on the Hadlow with their four children: Hugh (10), Ann (7), John (5) and Donald (1). (1) The Old Parish Registers of Scotland also include the birth of a son William in 1812. He was not on the passenger list of 1815, so presumably he died as a young child before the family left Scotland.
The Polson family were among those who fled to Jack River in 1816 after Seven Oaks. They spent the winter of 1816-17 at Jack River and their daughter Jane was born there. They returned to the settlement in the summer of 1817, at which time Lord Selkirk granted Alexander Lot #14 on the west side of the Red River. Four more children were born in the settlement: William, Angus, Alexander, and Janet. A carpenter, Alexander built spinning wheels for the colony and wove clothes for his family. In 1851, with the arrival of a Presbyterian minister at the settlement, Alexander was chosen by ballot as one of six elders for the new Kildonan Church. He died in 1857 and Catherine died in 1866. They are buried in Kildonan Presbyterian churchyard.
(1) HBCA C.1/345, Passenger list of the Hadlow, outward bound, 1815. Also on board the Hadlow were several members of Catherine’s family: her brother Alexander with his wife and four children; her brother Angus and his wife; her sister Helen; her mother Widow Janet (Jean) Matheson.